Ecommerce Recruitment: Employee Trends for Ecommerce Management

Oct 21, 2020 2:19:00 PM

As a leading ecommerce & digital recruitment agency, we make it our mission to always keep up with the latest employee trends. This not only helps when it comes to hiring ecommerce talent, but also gives ecommerce professionals visibility of what is going on in the industry.

In our latest employee trends series, using our 2020 ecommerce salary survey & insights report, we have already looked at digital design and digital marketing trends. Today, we turn our attention to the ecommerce management specialism - this covers broad ecommerce roles, online trading and online merchandising.

Are these professionals happy in their current role? Are they working too hard without the support or recognition of management? It's time to find out!

Ecommerce Management Employees: Happiness in current role

One of the new questions in our 2020 questionnaire was all about ranking current role happiness. We asked respondents to rank this on a scale of 1 to 100. When looking at all of our respondents, the average 'happiness' score was 65/100. Now that we're just looking at ecommerce management employees, will we see this go higher or lower?

Well, it isn't too far off the overall average...64/100 is the happiness score for this group of respondents. Let's look a little further into current employee sentiments.

Work-life balance for ecommerce management professionals

Working in ecommerce recruitment, we know how demanding and fast-paced ecommerce roles can be. Does this mean work-life balance is affected?

53% of ecommerce management respondents are happy with their current work-life balance, while 24% are unhappy with the balance between their professional and home lives. It's good to see a significant gap here, though the remaining 23% said they were unsure. Perhaps with some encouragement, they may find a better balance. 

Next, we asked respondents if they felt their current company prioritised the subject of work-life balance and made sure it encouraged employees not to overload themselves. 48% said yes it was a priority, leaving 52% believing it was not. While it's almost an even split, we wonder could companies be doing more to encourage wellbeing and happiness - especially in 2020!

While it's important to look at the company as a whole, it is also the duty of a manager or management team to encourage work-life balance within their teams. 60% of ecommerce management professionals feel their direct manager could do more to discuss this subject. 23% think management do enough, while 17% stated they were a manger/owner.

We asked respondents to give examples of how management can do more. Here are just a few...

  • Working from home and flexible hours - provide laptops to accommodate this
  • Respect employees and their free time - contact only in emergencies
  • Actively discourage overtime
  • Get a better understanding of the roles and responsibilities of each team member
  • Transparency - is the workload acceptable for the team to manage

These are just some of many - do get in touch if you'd like to discuss any statistics in more detail!

Overtime in ecommerce management

So far, it seems employee sentiments within ecommerce management are a mixed bag! Let's look at overtime within this specialism and see if this sheds more light...

  • None: 10% (8% in 2019)
  • A few minutes: 18% (19% in 2019)
  • Half an hour: 1% (3% in 2019)
  • 1 hour: 13% (10% in 2019)
  • 2 – 3 hours: 32% (22% in 2019)
  • 3 – 5 hours: 19% (29% in 2019)
  • Other: 7% (9% in 2019) All other answers were more than 5 hours - one respondent shared that they complete over 10 hours of overtime a week!

The most drastic changes we can see here are those who complete 2-3 hours increasing, while people completing 3-5 hours has decreased. Perhaps this shows that the higher numbers of overtime are gradually decreasing. Overall, however, this shows us that over 70% of ecommerce management professionals are doing one hour or more of overtime a week. 

Need more insights?

If you're an ecommerce management professional, get in touch to discuss your current situation or browse the latest ecommerce jobs. You can also download a full copy of 2020 ecommerce salary survey below! 

Download the 2020 ecommerce salary survey & insights report...


What do you think?

Share your thoughts on this post - whether you agree, disagree or have your own insight to share, we want to hear from you!


Subscribe to the cranberry panda blog

Don’t want to miss out on ecommerce news, insights and recruitment gossip? Subscribe to ‘The Panda Express’ updates!