Creating a vision of your business is an extremely powerful tool that many successful entrepreneurs have used to create powerful start-up businesses. To produce that dream of your business, take a few minutes to answer these questions.
Where are you with your business?
1) Write a list of all the strengths and qualities that will help you set up your business.
2) What are you doing right?
3) What good habits have you got in this area?
4) What have you done specifically so far to achieve your goal?
5) What resources do you already have?
6) Which qualities do you have that will help you?
7) Do you have any qualifications relevant to the business?
8) Do you have a network of contacts?
Where do you want to be?
Take a blank sheet of paper (A4 or larger) and some coloured pens or pencils. Then read the following question, but instead of using words draw your answer using pictures. It might be one large picture or several smaller pictures. There is no right or wrong way of doing this, just draw what you feel or see.
- Imagine your future, in 3 years’ time …
- How will your life look in 3 years?
- How will you be? Happy, successful, confident, relaxed, enjoying what you do?
- What will you be doing? Imagine a day in your life from when you wake up. What do you do? Do you go to an office or do you run your business from home? Do you travel to different countries? Do you visit customers or is your business run online? Do you work on your own? How big is your team?
- What will you have? A big house, a nice car and regular travel? Freedom, flexibility, tranquillity, financial stability and peace of mind? Will you have made a significant impact in the world, when it comes to your area of expertise or industry?
- How does having this business affect your life and the people around you?
What do you need to do to get there?
Some of the questions that will help you answer this are:
- What sort of resources do you need?
- What skills or abilities do you need to develop?
- What type of people do you need to bring on board? Will you get a co-founder(s)?
- What type of networks/ connections do you need to develop?
How do you make sure it happens?
- Who will make yourself accountable?
- How will you measure if you're on track?
- What type of support do you already have?