Hiring a CMO and need some interview question advice? 'Talent Talks' is here to help you! What is 'Talent Talks' you ask? Our new blog series will help companies plan their interviews by asking the right questions.
In our first-ever blog of the series, we're discussing CMO hires. We know by now that interviews are your chance to capture all of the key information about your candidates. Especially for a senior role like this, you really need to get to know the person behind the CV. It's not just about the technical skills on paper.
Working on senior digital marketing roles regularly, Cranberry Panda knows what to look for. Here are some key questions you should be asking to really get the talent talking!
The top interview questions when hiring a CMO
For the best interview structure, you should group your questions to cover all of the topics. It will allow a better flow in the conversation, where you can focus individually on skills, people management and work ethic.
Technical skills questions
A CMO will have a great understanding of many marketing technologies and digital channels. However, you might need specific skills you want the new CMO to bring to the table or discover skills you didn't know you needed.
- What have been the key marketing channels you have had the most success with in your career to date?
- How do you approach branding a company, and its products and services?
- What marketing tools and methods would you prioritise for a product launch?
- Can you share some key takeaways from tools or techniques you've discovered/learned in your current role?
- Describe a time when you implemented major changes within a marketing department's strategy and what were the results?
- What are your thoughts on the company's current marketing output?
- What marketing KPI's do you feel need to be tracked regularly?
- Do you feel there are any unique marketing skills you could bring to the company?
Work ethic questions
Work ethic is not just about how hard someone works. This is your chance to learn more about loyalty and a person's desire to grow within a company, no matter how senior their position is.
- What is your approach to personal motivation?
- What is one skill you feel you need to improve?
- How effectively do you work in a remote capacity?
- Describe your approach to time management.
- How do you handle multiple deadlines at once?
- Why do you think you've had such longevity within marketing?
- What do you believe to be the biggest challenges for CMOs today and how would you overcome these?
- If you could start your last role over again, would you do anything differently?
People skills questions
A CMO will be overseeing an entire department...people skills are a given! They will need to have proven experience in effectively leading a team. However, it's not just about results - they will need to ensure the team is happy and productive!
- Describe your leadership style.
- What is the main skill you feel will help the productivity of the team?
- Have you outsourced projects in the past or do you focus on internal talent development?
- Do you feel confident with managing a remote or hybrid workforce?
- What are your methods for monitoring the marketing performance of the team?
- What are your methods for monitoring the happiness and well-being of the team?
- How do you establish goals for a marketing department?
- Describe a time when you helped an employee overcome a particular hurdle.
Explore our eCommerce Executive Search for your senior hires!
If you're hiring a CMO, you're going to need dedicated eCommerce executive search services! Click below to discover how we can help you!